Probability and statistics for STEM : a course in one semester / E.N. Barron, J.G. Del Greco.Material type: TextSeries: Synthesis digital library of engineering and computer science | Synthesis lectures on mathematics and statistics ; #33.Publisher: San Rafael, California (1537 Fourth Street, 1537 Fourth Street, San Rafael, CA 94901 USA) : Morgan & Claypool Publishers, Description: 1 PDF (xvii, 231 pages) : illustrations (some color)Content type: text Media type: electronic Carrier type: online resourceISBN: 9781681738062Other title: Probability and statistics for science, technology, engineering, and mathematicsSubject(s): Probabilities -- Textbooks | Mathematical statistics -- Textbooks | Science -- Statistical methods -- Textbooks | Engineering -- Statistical methods -- Textbooks | probability | random variables | sample distribution | confidence intervals | prediction intervals | hypothesis testing | linear regressionGenre/Form: Electronic books.Additional physical formats: Print version:: No titleDDC classification: 519.5 LOC classification: QA273 | .B377 2020ebOnline resources: Abstract with links to full text | Abstract with links to resource Also available in print.
|Item type||Current library||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Ebooks||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi - Central Library||Available|
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Part of: Synthesis digital library of engineering and computer science.
1. Probability -- 1.1. The basics -- 1.2. Conditional probability -- 1.3. Appendix : counting -- 1.4. Problems
2. Random variables -- 2.1. Distributions -- 2.2. Important discrete distributions -- 2.3. Important continuous distributions -- 2.4. Expectation, variance, medians, percentiles -- 2.5. Joint distributions -- 2.6. x2(k), student's t- and F-distributions -- 2.7. Problems
3. Distributions of sample mean and sample SD -- 3.1. Population distribution known -- 3.2. Population variance unknown : sampling distribution of the sample variance -- 3.3. Problems
4. Confidence and prediction intervals -- 4.1. Confidence intervals for a single sample -- 4.2. Confidence intervals for two samples -- 4.3. Prediction intervals -- 4.4. Problems
5. Hypothesis testing -- 5.1. A motivating example -- 5.2. The basics of hypothesis testing -- 5.3. Hypotheses tests for one parameter -- 5.4. Hypotheses tests for two populations -- 5.5. Power of tests of hypotheses -- 5.6. More tests of hypotheses -- 5.7. Problems -- 5.8. Summary tables
6. Linear regression -- 6.1. Introduction and scatter plots -- 6.2. Introduction to regression -- 6.3. The distributions of aO and Ob -- 6.4. Confidence intervals for slope and intercept and hypothesis tests -- 6.5. Problems.
Abstract freely available; full-text restricted to subscribers or individual document purchasers.
Google book search
One of the most important subjects for all engineers and scientists is probability and statistics. This book presents the basics of the essential topics in probability and statistics from a rigorous standpoint. The basics of probability underlying all statistics is presented first and then we cover the essential topics in statistics, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, and linear regression. This book is suitable for any engineer or scientist who is comfortable with calculus and is meant to be covered in a one-semester format.
Also available in print.
Title from PDF title page (viewed on July 30, 2020).